Monday, April 5, 2010

A Good Childhood for Kay.

Dad said "We had a happy home life."  I wanted to tell one story about dad that I think is pretty incredible.
He said his dad sold all their horses except for a few work horses and 3 or 4 saddle horses.  He said he rode horses from the time he could walk (hey, Ava, does that sound familiar?) until the time he left the farm.  He said that when he was about 10 years old they had a riding horse called "Snap".  He was a good old horse and he said, " I could ride him ON A GALLOP, STANDING UP, from our place down to Olsens, which was a little over a quarter of a mile.  I thought I was pretty good and , in fact, so did the neighbors as they saw me go by."  I don't want to give Colton any ideas, but I want to post the pictures that Cheryl took of Colton, because Colton reminds me so much of dad and especially in these pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Colton DOES remind me of Dad! I love to hear stories of my parents... especially this one. Tell the one about dad's milking skills next, Linda... I like that one too. (I'll go take some pictures of our cows for you... oops, they're all steers... well that won't work!) I'll find some milking cow pics, don't you worry your pretty little head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of my favorite stories and you told it just like Dad told it. Good job! And I believe you're right--Colton reminds me of Dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Grandpa sure gets a kick out of watching Colton on the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet Dad would have gotten a kick seeing Colton riding like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered where the picture of the 3 horses was taken? (The bottom picture.)

    ReplyDelete