One of my favorite stories of Mom and Dad (Maxine and Kay) is in the form of a poem composed by Kathy for their 50th Wedding anniversary on October 9, 1993. It follows:
The Blind Date
A shy, handsome farm boy from Idaho
Now a flyboy fulfilling his duty.
Was asked if he would like to go
On a blind date with a sweet young beauty.
I'm sure he rubbed his chin and thought,
"Could she really be pretty and nice?
Well, it's just one night, so why not?
We don't have to go out twice."
Who'd ever have guessed
On that October night in 1942
That fate would bring him face to face
With the love of his life ever true.
Now this pretty young woman had dated a lot
But she accepted this blind invitation.
After all, he was a brave young man
Training to fight for his nation.
I'm sure she rubbed her chin and thought,
"Could he really be handsome and nice?
Well, it's just one night, so why not?
We don't have to go out twice."
She said he never looked at her
The entire evening of their date.
But I think we all can be quite sure
The looks he stole sealed their fate.
She loved his sense of humor.
He loved when she laughed at his jokes.
It was a match made in heaven
For these two special folks.
And so one year later
They stood to say "I do"
As hand in hand
They promised to always be faithful and true.
Now 50 years have come and gone
And a lifetime of loving and caring.
And they know that through the good times and bad
Love grows most through sharing.
Maxine and Kay on their wedding day
October 9, 1943

Thanks Cheryl. I love this blog. And I love the memories that it records. Someday we'll have to turn it into a book.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the poem - I love it!!! I'm so glad we have this blog, because I don't have a very good memory and this helps me.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute poem! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI vaguely remember this poem being read but I am like Kristie and my memory just isn't what it use to be. Thank you for sharing that with everyone and thank you Kathy for writing it. It is so cute!
ReplyDelete